David Carlton Orvis 9 BIGELOW

15326.3214    David Carlton Orvis 9 BIGELOW, son of Adoniram Judson 8  ( Barna 7 , Silas 6 , Solomon 5 , Samuel 4, Samuel 3, Samuel 2, John 1) and Martha Jane (Munroe) BIGELOW, was born at Sherman Island [built by his father], Sacramento County, CA on 02 November 1875. His marriage was on 29 March 1902, in Oakley, Contra Costa County, CA, (or in San Francisco, depending on equally reliable family sources) to Theodosia Isabel 8 Bigelow (16B2A.264), who was born at the family home on Bigelow Road near Pennington near Gridley, Butte County, CA on 27 September 1881. She was the daughter of Marcus James 7 and Clara Isabel (Parlin) Bigelow. David Carlton died in September 1943, at age 67 of prostate cancer, and was buried in the Biglow Family plot in Mountain View Cemetery in Oakland, Alameda County, California. Theodosia (16B2A.264) died 21 July 1971, two months short of her 90th birthday of stomach cancer after a short illness.
    In 1891, David Carlton Orvis Biglow received his share of his father's estate and attended Stanford University where he was graduated in Law one year after the pioneer 4-year class. Herbert Hoover was in the first class one year ahead of him and was manager of the football team on which D.C.O. played center. Charles Dole of the Dole Pineapple family from Honolulu was another class member and football player. D.C.O. was a farmer at heart, and after five years as a government employee following college he returned to farming and was a professional ranch manager. The family always lived on large ranches, usually between 10,000 to 13,000 acres, including the Rancho Llano Seco (known also as the Parrott Grant), the Mexican land grant originally bestowed in 1845 to Sebastian Kayser, where D.C.O. managed the orchards. (More on David Carlton Orvis 9 BIGELOW)

Children of David and Theodosia (Bigelow) Bigelow:

15326.32141     John Orvis, b 30 November 1906, San Francisco, CA; d 08 September 1926, in a hunting accident, shot by a UC Berkeley professor, a family friend, in Garberville, Humboldt County, CA, and was buried in the Biglow Family plot in Mountain View Cemetery, in Oakland, Alameda County, CA. (also 16B2A.2641)

15326.32142     Eugene Allen, b 10 Oct 1908 San Francisco; d 15 Jan 1999 Oakland; m  21 Jan 1938 Albertina Martha Schweiss (see below)

Bigelow Family Genealogy Vol II , p 347-348;
Howe, Bigelow Family of America;
correspondence between descendants and Bigelow Society historian/genealogist;
cemetery records: Antioch & Oakland, CA.
FORGE: The Bigelow Society Quarterly; Vol. 9, No. 2 April, 1980
FORGE: The Bigelow Society Quarterly; Vol. 28 No.3.
E-mail from: Michael Judson 11 Bigelow  mjb5491@gmail.com

15326.32142     Eugene Allen 10 Bigelow, was born 10 October 1908 in San Francisco, CA, 59 years to the day in 1849 his grandfather Biglow had sailed through the Golden Gate to San Francisco on a clipper ship. He married Albertine Martha Schweiss on 21 January 1938 in San Francisco in a small church service with only their attendants present. Martha, as she was known, was born on the Fourth of July 1906, Virginia City, Nevada, daughter of Richard Albert Schweiss and Mary (Mayme) Daley, both of Virginia City; and died of a heart attack, 21 January 1988 (their 50th wedding anniversary) at Fresno, CA. Eugene died 01 January 1999, also in Fresno. Both interments were in Biglow Family Plot in Mountain View Cemetery, Oakland, CA.
     At the time of his death Eugene had been a lawyer for over 60 years, although he finally stopped practicing around 1988. He subsequently devoted his time to building an airplane hanger on his property and then purchased a Piper Tripacer and rebuilt it from the bare framework into a STOL (short take-off and landing) plane in accordance with a set of plans. In fall 1996 the engine had been mounted and lacked only the final fitting procedures when a spontaneous fracture of spinal vertebrae, probably secondary to his four-year earlier diagnosed prostate cancer, permanently stopped the project; although he spent a relatively healthy 1997 in reduced activity, further work on the airplane was precluded. A final stressful year of 1998 being bedridden due to intermittant cancer pain let him only dream of his life-long love of flying. However, during a brief two-month health renaissance his airplane club friends just days prior to his 90th birthday were able to fly him in their private plane up to a national air show for the day. Still a licensed pilot at the time of his death, he was able briefly to take the airplane controls on the return trip to dance the sky for a final time: days later he celebrated his 90th birthday with a garden party and a cake bearing the 90 candles, but from then on he steadily declined in health until he "...slipped the surly bonds of earth..." about 6 p.m on New Year's Day of 1999. Eugene led a remarkably interesting and adventuresome life, having bridged the horse and buggy to the flights to space. Blessed with a memory for events, dates and details, he was a fascinating ranconteur of events great and small of the 20th Century, to which many were treated, among other places, at wonderful dinner parties put on by his extraorinarily accomplished, intelligent, and beloved wife Martha, as the dinner conversations lingered long past the dessert, coffee, and port (served in the hollow stem crystal wine glasses of his Bigelow grandfather, an excellent winemaker of table wine for the family's consumption.) Eugene could recall in detail riding in 1912 with his mother in a surrey with the fringed top, the first primitive automobiles owned by the family, what "station wagon" motor vehicles originally were long before the "Woodies" made their appearances decades later, the first time an airplane was ever seen, the last major volcanic eruption of Mt. Lassen filling the air, the great Panama Pacific Exhibition which gave San Francisco the Marina District and the Palace of Fine Arts, and twenty years later the building of Treasure Island for the "best" world's fair ever, the 1938 San Francisco World's Fair, and the list goes on...and on. Having skipped two grammar school grades, he and his older brother graduated high school the same year, Eugene only being 15 years old at the time but already a licensed driver for three years. A big strapping man of 6 foot, 2 1/2 inches (though smaller than his father's 6 feet 4 inches), he then worked for two years at an assortment of jobs including being office boy to founder A. P. Giannini of the then Bank of Italy and America and later for the American Bridge Company building railroad bridges through the Delta islands between the Sacramento and San Joaquin Rivers. At eighteen he then matriculated at the University of Washington, where he was a member of Delta Tau Delta social fraternity and president thereof in his sophomore year, where he was instrumental in rebuilding the fraternity following the devastation in its ranks caused by the beginning of the Great Depression, an event which in many ways would mar much of his subsequent life as well. He entered into a combined law degree program at the University and then transferred in his second year of law school to the University of California's Hastings College of the Law in San Francisco. In his last year of law school he was struck seriously ill, almost dying from pneumonia in the pre-antibiotic days, and spent years thereafter regaining his health. Finally finishing law school in 1938, he passed the bar and married Martha Schweiss of Virginia City and San Francisco in a small church service with only their attendants present. During this time one interesting footnote to history is that he and another man were working for the company building the San Francisco Bay Bridge. Their job one night after dark was to set and explode the first charge commencing the building of the Bay Bridge tunnel on Yerba Buena Island. He also worked for Commercial Credit Corporation and then as an insurance adjuster for Employers' Liability Assurance Corporation both during college and until he finished law school. After practicing law for a short time in San Francisco, he went to Mexico and owned and operated a placer gold mine in the Sierra Madre mountains, which venture was aborted by the political situation leading up to the entrance of the United States into World War II. Returning to California he and Martha relocated to Los Angeles where he indulged his love of automobiles by purchasing and operating an automobile garage, until at 34 1/2 years old he was drafted into the Army, after having earlier been turned down on medical grounds by the services when he had attempted to enlist. He nonetheless had an interesting if very unusual set of war experiences while stationed at various locales Stateside. Their son was born on Bastille Day in Cincinnati, Ohio, while Eugene was on a special war termination project assignment, between the end of the war in Europe and the end of the war in Japan, two days before the beginning of the Atomic Age, the only family member deprived of a "born in California" label in almost 100 years! After the war with his commercial pilot's license and an Aircraft and Engine Mechanic's rating but still suffering with ill health, Eugene spent ten years in the flying business in Arizona, building crop duster planes and operating a crop dusting business, before returning to California and practicing law, where his varied life experiences enhanced his proffered legal counsel. On May 21, 1953, following long Bigelow family tradition, he was initiated into the Masons, Pinal Lodge #30, and raised to Master Mason on May 27, 1954.
     (Lawyer for 40 yrs., active 1980 but turned management over to son Michael. Eugene served in WW II, then worked for Commercial Credit Corp., then as an insurance adjuster for Emp. Liability Assurance Corp during and between grad. fm. college -- then finished law training.  He practiced in San Francisco a short time then went to Mexico and operated a placer gold mine.  During the war he pur. a garage in LA until age 34 1/2 when he was called into the military for WW II.  After the war, with a commercial pilots license and an aircraft and Engine Mechanic's rating, he spent 10 yrs. in flying business.  Eugene says "It is more a help than a handicap to have had so many turbulent years, it is as if someone had been forcing me to become versitile so I could do a better job for my clients.")

Child of Eugene and Albertina (Schweiss) Bigelow:

15326.32142.1     Michael Judson 11 Bigelow, b 14 July 1945 Cincinatti, OH; d ____ ; 1970 graduate of School of Law (Boalt Hall), Univ. of CA at Berkeley, manages his father's law firm--Eugene Allen Bigelow of Fresno CA in 1980.

More on David Carlton:
While at Stanford D.C.O. had met and fallen in love with Ellen McCaustland, who was born in 1876, one of the seven children of James McCaustland of Shelby County, Iowa, who had moved his family to San Jose, California, around 1890. Ellen's Irish-born father James, according to his descendants, "...a retired farmer and millwright, looked askance on any man [including the strapping young Stanford law student and football player] who didn't earn his living with his hands. Whether James simply discouraged the match or outright refused to allow Ellen to marry remains a mystery; different family members tell different stories. However it happened, and despite the deep affection Ellen and Carl [D.C.O.] had for one another, the relationship ended." By 1902 when James died, all the McCaustland children except Ellen had married and so had D.C.O. to his sixth cousin, once removed, Theodosia Isabelle Bigelow. Ellen kept her promise to her father to look after her mother, Luannia, which she did until the mother's death in 1927. After D.C.O.'s marriage to Theodosia ended in divorce just after 1920, D.C.O. and his two boys continued to live in the ranch headquarters house at Middle River in the delta islands, San Joaquin County, CA, while the boys commuted daily to high school in Stockton, CA. For a number of years D.C.O.'s sister Elizabeth Louise Biglow Logan came from her home in Oakland and kept house for them until the boys could function on their own. After John Orvis's tragic death in 1926, D.C.O. looked up the McCaustland's address in the San Jose telephone directory and found the family still listed, and thirty years afterwards, Ellen still living at home. They married and lived happily ever after until her death in February, 1941. Ellen's choice of their wedding present to Eugene and Martha was an exquistely beautiful down comforter, and upon her death gave Martha her beautiful Myott Staffordshire china, both of which are still being enjoyed in the family.

Modified - 03/09/2008
(c) Copyright 2008 Bigelow Society, Inc. All rights reserved.
Rod  Bigelow - Director

Rod Bigelow
Box 13   Chazy Lake
Dannemora, N.Y. 12929