Children of James and Harriet (Vargason) Bigelow:
16314.4921 Sabrina (Subina Bry), b _ Dec 1948 WI; d 27 Dec 1917 Huron,, SD ; buried Huron,, SD.
16314.4922 Charlotte E.(Lottie), b 13 Mar 1851 WI (1844 WI?); d 12 Nov 1895 Huron,, SD; buried Nov 1895 Huron,, SD; m William Scott Cushman (he b 1839 MA; d 14 Oct 1927 Hot Springs,, SD; bur Oct 1927 Hot Springs, SD) ;
16314.4923 Amanda Melvina, b ___ 1847(1849) WI; d 27 Dec 1917 Huron,, SD ; buried Huron,, SD; m Stephen C. Roddel, who died in 1873;
16314.4924 John Day, b 27 Jan 1854, Hall, Iowa; d 16 July 1925, m (1) HARREET. ; m (2) ELSY BARNEY 17 July 1881 Independence, IA; She born 07 June 1855 in Lake Gevena WI, and died 12 Nov 1895 in S.D.. (see below)
16314.4925 James B. (Bert), b _ Feb 1859 IA; d __ 1938; m 02 Feb 1882, in Buchanan co., IA, Julia A. (Annie) Burco, b _ Jan 1866, IA; d _ June 1937, both buried Woodlawn Cemetery, Oelwein, Jefferson Twp., Fayette co, IA.(see below)
Bigelow Society,The Bigelow Family Genealogy Vol II,pg ;
Howe, Bigelow Family of America, page 381;
correspondence with descendants;
Subject: Bigelow Connections...
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 20:31:49 EST
Hi Rod...My name is Vernon Whiting and I was introduced to
by a cousin while I was searching for descendants of a James L.
married Harriet Vargason (my mother was a Vargason). I found
unable to get into the site...said I needed to contact you. While perusing your site, I found something very interesting...We are apparently distant cousins on the Whiting side also. Your John Bigelo's sister, Elizabeth and Richard Butler are my 8th great grandparents. Susanna Butler married Elisha Whiting, Sr. I have them all in my database...small world, huh? I would be
very interested in what info you have on James...do you know the names of his children?? Thank you so much for your time.
In the FWIW department, the following paragraph was copied from the Buchanan County, IA Genweb site.
It is a bit more detailed than what was copied from the book and what is posted on your website.
J. L. Bigelow was born in Troy, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, in the year 1823. When still a boy he went with his father, R. D. Bigelow, to Upper Canada, where he lived about four years, when they moved to Wisconsin, where he worked at the blacksmith trade about ten years. He came to Iowa in May, 1850, where, locating in Washington township, he spent three years. Bought the place where he still resides, in Williamsburgh, in 1868. Farming and blacksmithing were his principal business. Mr. Bigelow was married in 1847, to Miss Harriet E. Varyason (fifty three years old), of Wisconsin. They have five children: Sabina E., thirty-three, single; Charlotte E., thirty, married William Scott Cushman, resides in this county; Amanda Melvina, twenty-eight, married Stephen C. Roddel, who died in 1873; John Day, twenty-seven, single; James B., twenty-two. Mr. Bigelow was one of the early pioneers. There were only two married men in Independence at the time he came. He ground the corn for his bread seven weeks, in a coffee-mill. He has passed seventeen days at a time without seeing the face of a white man. There was only one corn mill in the county, and people came for sixty miles to grind. They could grind about two bushels a day. Though they can remember some severe hardships, yet they look upon those days as being full of pleasure and happiness. True fellowship then existed.
Rootsweb Supporter/List Manager: WOOLSEY-L@rootsweb.com
Chuck has supplied a gedcom of his information which has been used for James L., and James B. (Bert) Bigelow....ROD
Descendants of James L. Bigelow
Generation No. 1
1. JAMES L.1 BIGELOW was born 1823, and died September 25, 1888. He married HARRIET VARGASON. She was born 1828, and died August 12, 1897.
Children of JAMES BIGELOW and HARRIET VARGASON are:
2. i. JOHN DAY2 BIGELOW, b. January 27, 1854, Hall Iowa; d. July 16, 1925, Perry Iowa.
ii. SUBRINA BRY BIGLOW, b. 1849, Wisc.; d. December 27, 1917, huron s.d..
More About SUBRINA BRY BIGLOW:
Burial: December 1917, huron s.d.
iii. LOTTIE BIGLOW, b. March 13, 1851, Wisc.; d. November 12, 1895, Huron S.D.; m. WILLIAM SCOTT CUSHMAN; b. 1839, Masschusette; d. October 14, 1927, Hot Springs S.D..
More About LOTTIE BIGLOW:
Burial: November 1895, Huron S.D.
More About WILLIAM SCOTT CUSHMAN:
Burial: October 1927, Hot Springs S.D.
Generation No. 2
2. JOHN DAY 2 BIGELOW (JAMES L.1) was born January 27, 1854 in Hall Iowa, and died July 16, 1925 in Perry Iowa. He married (1) HARREET. He married (2) ELSY BARNEY July 17, 1881 in Independence Iowa. She was born June 07, 1855 in Lake Gevena Wisc., and died November 12, 1895 in S.D..
More About JOHN DAY BIGELOW:
Burial: July 1925, Perry Iowa
More About ELSY BARNEY:
Burial: November 1895, S.D.
Child of JOHN BIGELOW and HARREET is:
i. VICTOR3 BIGELOW.
Children of JOHN BIGELOW and ELSY BARNEY are:
3. ii. BLANCHE MAY3 BIGELOW, b. December 12, 1888, Alpena Alsen S.D; d. November 12, 1971, Beresford S.D..
4. iii. HATTIE MAUDE BIGELOW, b. June 24, 1886, Huron S.D.; d. January 29, 1931, Alpena S.D..
5. iv. NATTIE ANATLA BIGELOW, b. August 23, 1884, Sanborn co. S.D.; d. December 05, 1951, Washington.
6. v. MARGE BIGELOW, b. January 24, 1893; d. February 10, 1972, Brookings S.D..
vi. PAUL BIGELOW.
vii. VIRGIL BIGELOW, d. 1970.
viii. VINCENT BIGELOW.
Generation No. 3
3. BLANCHE MAY3 BIGELOW (JOHN DAY2, JAMES L.1) was born December 12, 1888 in Alpena Alsen S.D, and died November 12, 1971 in Beresford S.D.. She married GEORGE DUDLEY DOTY July 08, 1908 in Woonscoket S.D., son of GEORGE DOTY and NANCY POYNTER. He was born January 30, 1884 in Hull Souix, Iowa, and died December 08, 1923 in Huron S.D..
Notes for BLANCHE MAY BIGELOW:
She lived in Alpena, most of her life,were farmers. She also lived in Neb. but went back to Huron S.D.
She had 15 Grandchildren and 21 Great-grandchildren.
More About BLANCHE MAY BIGELOW:
Burial: November 15, 1971, Union S.D.
Notes for GEORGE DUDLEY DOTY:
They moved to Canada. Once Blanche became pregnant with Elsie they moved back to the USA so she would be an American citizen.
Gram pa worked on the railroad, He was a gang Forman for 15 to 20 men, who unloaded coal for the steam locomotives. They would push coal cars up on a raised track and unload the coal in bins. Ten dump it into the locomotive tenders. When they did away with the Humphres and put in an elevator coal Shute my dad operated that on the day shift. A night employee let the cable on the elevator run out and while my dad was putting them back on, he got his hand tangled in the cable. It almost tore his arm off. Later he got blood poisoning in his arm and died from it. At the age of 39 years 4 months 4 days.
He was well liked and a good husband, father and provider for the and take care of 7 children. His wife got a widows pension from the state, and with what money her husband left her she supported all the children. She washed dishes in restaurants and hired out to do house work. During the 1930 C.P.A. had sewing rooms where the government made clothes for the needy. She worked din the sewing rooms when her husband was alive.
they lived in a small farm house about 1 mile out side of Huron S.D. When her husband died she sold the farm and she had a small house in Huron. It had 2 bedrooms and a combination kitchen and dinning room, and it had an enclosed front porch. It was crowed but they managed.
there were many hardships. Food and clothing were hard to come by. But they all survived. A lot of people were affected by the depression so they didn't know how poor they were.
More About GEORGE DUDLEY DOTY:
Burial: December 10, 1923, River Side Cemetery Huron S.D.
Occupation: Rev. at Congrectional Church
Children of BLANCHE BIGELOW and GEORGE DOTY are:
7. i. MAUDE TERESA4 DOTY, b. March 01, 1909, Ponca Nebraska; d. February 06, 1978, Beresford S.D..
8. ii. ELSIE ELIZABETH DOTY, b. February 10, 1912, Huron S.D..
9. iii. KENNETH GEORGE DOTY, b. May 20, 1917, huron s.d..
10. iv. JOHN OLIVER DOTY, b. February 18, 1915, Huron S.D.; d. October 21, 1951.
v. GEORIGA ELLEN DOTY, b. February 20, 1910, Mills, Keya Co. Neb.; d. July 14, 1977, Beresford S.D.; m. (1) PAUL WIESE, May 21, 1933, Souix Falls S.D.; b. November 20, 1904; m. (2) HERMAN WIMPY JONES, November 12, 1941, Bossier City Ia.; b. December 19, 1905, Minden Louisiana; d. April 30, 1967, Sherveport La..
More About GEORIGA ELLEN DOTY:
Burial: July 1977, Riverside Cementery huronS.D.
More About HERMAN WIMPY JONES:
Burial: May 02, 1967, Minden La.
Occupation: Fire Marshal
11. vi. CASSINS KEITH DOTY, b. October 10, 1919, Huron S.D.; d.
November 09, 1990, Bossier La..
12. vii. CHARLES ROBERT DOTY, b. December 12, 1922, Huron S.D.; d. June 26, 1980, Tullahoma Tenn..
4. HATTIE MAUDE3 BIGELOW (JOHN DAY2, JAMES L.1) was born June 24, 1886 in Huron S.D., and died January 29, 1931 in Alpena S.D.. She married GEORGE REID February 08, 1906 in S.D.. He was born September 15, 1864 in Province Quebec, and died May 03, 1937 in Huron S.D..
More About HATTIE MAUDE BIGELOW:
Burial: January 1931, huron s.d.
More About GEORGE REID:
Burial: May 1937, Huron S.D.
Child of HATTIE BIGELOW and GEORGE REID is:
i. MAUDE4 REID, b. November 02, 1906, Alpena S.D.h; m. KETELSON.
5. NATTIE ANATLA3 BIGELOW (JOHN DAY2, JAMES L.1) was born August 23, 1884 in Sanborn co. S.D., and died December 05, 1951 in Washington. She married JOHN MORRIS KLINE February 18, 1902 in Woonsocket S.D.. He was born September 05, 1862 in Pennsylvania, and died November 04, 1934 in Huron S.D..
More About NATTIE ANATLA BIGELOW:
Burial: December 1951, Washington
Notes for JOHN MORRIS KLINE:
His half brother was art wood, born 20 Jan. 1876 in Iowa, Died 6 Nov. 1961 in Washington.
More About JOHN MORRIS KLINE:
Burial: November 1934, Huron S.D.
Children of NATTIE BIGELOW and JOHN KLINE are:
i. EDWARD4 KLINE, d. October 29, 1973.
ii. ARLENE KLINE.
iii. WESLEY KLINE.
iv. DELORIS KLINE, b. November 21, 1921; d. April 21, 1950.
6. MARGE3 BIGELOW (JOHN DAY2, JAMES L.1) was born January 24, 1893, and died February 10, 1972 in Brookings S.D.. She married (1) EDD STACKWICK. He was born November 29, 1893 in Minn., and died May 22, 1967 in St. Cloud Minn.. She married (2) MCGRATLO.
More About MARGE BIGELOW:
Burial: February 1972, huron s.d.
More About EDD STACKWICK:
Burial: May 1967
Child of MARGE BIGELOW and MCGRATLO is:
i. YZONNE LUCRETIA4 MCGRATLO.
Generation No. 4
7. MAUDE TERESA4 DOTY (BLANCHE MAY3 BIGELOW, JOHN DAY2, JAMES L.1) was born March 01, 1909 in Ponca Nebraska, and died February 06, 1978 in Beresford S.D.. She married LEO NICKOLAS REINARTZ December 18, 1930 in Huron S.D., son of JOHN REINARDS and ELIZABETH REINSBACH. He was born February 08, 1908 in Ethan S.D., and died February 15, 1972 in Beresford S.D..
Notes for MAUDE TERESA DOTY:
When grama died she had 15 Grandchildren,8 Great grandchildren.
She spent most of her childhood in Neb. and at Huron S.D. where she worked for several years prior to her marriage made her home in Huron, until 1934 when they moved to Beresford S.D. She was a den mother for over 10 yrs.
More About MAUDE TERESA DOTY:
Baptism (LDS): April 01, 1928, St Martain Church/Huron S.D.
Burial: February 09, 1978, St. teresa's Church Beresford S.D.
More About LEO NICKOLAS REINARTZ:
Burial: February 15, 1972, St.Teresa's Church Beresford S.D.
Occupation: Garage Owner
Children of MAUDE DOTY and LEO REINARTZ are:
i. PHYLLIS MAY5 REINARTZ, b. August 17, 1931, Huron S.D.; m. FRANCIS LEROY MCCASKEY, September 07, 1948, Beresford S.D.; b. April 27, 1927, Canton S.D..
More About PHYLLIS MAY REINARTZ:
Occupation: Nurses Aid
More About FRANCIS LEROY MCCASKEY:
Confirmation: March 05, 1950, St. Teresa's Church
ii. CONSTANCE SUSAN REINARTZ, b. August 17, 1931, Beresford S.D.; m. ELMER ATTO ANDAL, June 04, 1954; b. May 19, 1928, Viborg S.D.; d. July 05, 1995, Souix Falls S.D..
Notes for ELMER ATTO ANDAL:
He grew upon a farm near Viborg S.D. Graduated from Hurley High School in 1948.He served in the U.S. Navy. for 4 years during the Korean War.
During the course of his life, he farmed near Beresford,until 1968 and then farmed north of Parker S.D.
He moved to Worthing in Jan. 1989. He worked in Construction and Meat Packing Industries. He currently employed as a Federal Meat Inspector at John Morrell Company in Sioux Falls S.D.
He was a member of St. Edwards Catholic Church and Bradshaw American Legion Post 177 in Worthing S.D.
More About ELMER ATTO ANDAL:
Burial: July 07, 1995, St. Edwards Cementery Worthing S.D.
iii. GEORGE LEO REINARTZ, b. September 21, 1940, Beresford S.D.; d. September 21, 1940, Beresford S.D..
More About GEORGE LEO REINARTZ:
Burial: September 1940, Beresford S.D.
iv. CHARLES KENITH REINARTZ, b. October 30, 1945, Beresford S.D.; d. October 30, 1945, Beresford S.D..
More About CHARLES KENITH REINARTZ:
Burial: October 1945, Beresford S.D.
v. HAROLD EUGEN REINARTZ, b. January 29, 1947, Souix Falls S.D.; m. MELODY KAI MERCER, December 20, 1969, Worthing S.D.; b. July 12, 1948, Spokane Wa..
Notes for HAROLD EUGEN REINARTZ:
Uncle butch served in the Navy from 1 Oct. 1965 to 20 Sept 1969
More About HAROLD EUGEN REINARTZ:
Military service: US Navy
Occupation: VA Maintance
8. ELSIE ELIZABETH4 DOTY (BLANCHE MAY3 BIGELOW, JOHN DAY2, JAMES L.1) was born February 10, 1912 in Huron S.D.. She married (1) WILBURN HUBBS May 10, 1931 in Huron S.D.. He was born February 10, 1912 in St. Jo Mo.. She married (2) ERVIN P. STAHL June 13, 1946 in Huron S.D.. He was born March 08, 1915 in Freeman S.D..
Child of ELSIE DOTY and WILBURN HUBBS is:
i. ROBERT GEORGE5 HUBBS, b. February 23, 1932, Huron S.D..
Child of ELSIE DOTY and ERVIN STAHL is:
ii. KEVIN PETER5 STAHL, b. October 30, 1954, Huron S.D..
9. KENNETH GEORGE4 DOTY (BLANCHE MAY3 BIGELOW, JOHN DAY2, JAMES L.1) was born May 20, 1917 in huron s.d.. He married VIVIAN LEONE JOLIN April 23, 1940 in Rock Rapids Iowa. She was born May 27, 1919 in Aberdeen S.D., and died April 19, 1983 in Portland Or..
Children of KENNETH DOTY and VIVIAN JOLIN are:
i. HERBERT GEORGE5 DOTY, b. December 02, 1940, huron s.d.; m. JANCIE LEE GROSS, November 04, 1991; b. January 14, 1941.
ii. NINA MARIE DOTY, b. January 26, 1946, Portland Or.; m. ROBERT ALLEN WALKER, February 26, 1965; b. August 31, 1944.
10. JOHN OLIVER4 DOTY (BLANCHE MAY3 BIGELOW, JOHN DAY2, JAMES L.1) was born February 18, 1915 in Huron S.D., and died October 21, 1951. He married FRANCIS JACKSON March 02, 1942 in Pipesion Minn.. She was born in Huron S.D..
Notes for JOHN OLIVER DOTY:
Divorced in 1946 in Huron S.D.
More About JOHN OLIVER DOTY:
Burial: October 1951, huron s.d.
Children of JOHN DOTY and FRANCIS JACKSON are:
i. GEORGE ROBERT5 DOTY, b. July 21, 1944, huron s.d..
ii. HERMAN LEROY DOTY, b. July 28, 1946, huron s.d.; d. August 20, 1983, Huron S.D..
More About HERMAN LEROY DOTY:
Burial: August 1983, Highmore Cemetery Huron S.D.
11. CASSINS KEITH4 DOTY (BLANCHE MAY3 BIGELOW, JOHN DAY2, JAMES L.1) was born October 10, 1919 in Huron S.D., and died November 09, 1990 in Bossier La.. He married MARIE MELDA ROCKFORD February 28, 1946 in Burlington Vermont. She was born February 24, 1918 in Springfield Mass..
Notes for CASSINS KEITH DOTY:
Served in the Army in World War Two.
More About CASSINS KEITH DOTY:
Burial: November 12, 1990, Bossier La.
Occupation: Liquor operator
Children of CASSINS DOTY and MARIE ROCKFORD are:
i. JAMES KEITH5 DOTY, b. August 19, 1947, Shreveport Ia..
ii. DENNIS GEORGE DOTY, b. July 24, 1950, Shreveport Ia..
iii. MARY ELAIN DOTY, b. November 15, 1952, Shreveport Ia..
12. CHARLES ROBERT4 DOTY (BLANCHE MAY3 BIGELOW, JOHN DAY2, JAMES L.1) was born December 12, 1922 in Huron S.D., and died June 26, 1980 in Tullahoma Tenn.. He married ANITA JO JACKSON December 12, 1943 in Rossville Ga.. She was born December 12, 1922 in Summutville Tenn..
Notes for CHARLES ROBERT DOTY:
Veteran of the II World War and Korean War. Member of the American Legion Post 43.
More About CHARLES ROBERT DOTY:
Burial: June 1980, Summitville Cemetery
Occupation: Human Resource Agency
Children of CHARLES DOTY and ANITA JACKSON are:
i. CHARON RAE5 DOTY, b. May 08, 1947, Huron S.D.; m. HARRELL.
ii. MICHEAL DUDLY DOTY, b. October 31, 1948, Huron S.D..
iii. RENITA DOTY, b. February 12, 1955; m. JERNIGAN.