Timothy 5 BIGELOW

16952.     Timothy 5 BIGELOW,  son of  Col. Timothy 4 ( Daniel 3, Joshua2, John1) and Anna (ANDREWS) BIGELOW, was  born 30 April 1767 at Worcester,Worcester county, MA. In his early childhood, Timothy's father was absent much of the time in the service during the Revolution. He was apprenticed to the printing business of Isaiah Thomas, but spent much of his time in reading and studying. In 1778 he was placed under the care of the Rev. Joseph Pope at Spencer, but in 1779 joined his father in the Continental Army in the Rhode Island campaign. Col. Timothy Bigelow's regiment was ordered south, and the boy returned to study under Benjamin Lincoln, next under Samuel Dexter, and on being prepared for Harvard, entered there in 1782, graduating with honors in 1786. He then began the study of law, was admitted to the bar in 1789, and commenced practice in Groton.
     He lived in Groton until 1806. He was chosen to represent Groton in the General Court 1792-1797, then state Senator
1797-1801. He was a member of the Council 1802, then elected to the legislature again in 1804, and remained in the legislature for 18 years, having mean time moved in 1806 to Medford. He was Speaker of the House 1805, 1808-1809, 1812-1819. In 1820 he was elected member of the Council, and while in that office, died 18 May 1821 at Medford. He was a Federalist, and represented Massachusetts at the Hartford Convention of 1811. He practiced in both Massachusetts and New Hampshire, and in his lifetime, is said to have pleaded 15,000 cases. He was an active Mason, served as Grand Master in Massachusetts. (see below) He married on 30 September 1791 at Groton, Lucy Prescott, (see below) daughter of Oliver and Lydia (Baldwin) Prescott. She was born about 1771 and died his widow, 15 December 1852 age 81.

Children of Timothy and Lucy (Prescott) Bigelow:

16952.1t         Katherine, b 20 May 1793 Groton; d 21 Aug 1860 Boston; m 23 Jun 1819 Abbott Lawrence; res Boston. 7 children.(see below)

16952.2t         Andrew, b 7 May 1795 Groton; d _____ 1877 Boston; m 26 Jan 1824 Amelia Sargent Stanwood. 2 children.(see below)

16952.3t         John Prescott, b 25 Aug 1797 Groton; d 4 July 1872 Boston; m 9 Mar 1824 Louisa A. Brown. He was mayor of Boston.(see below)

16952.4          Edward, bapt 8 Mar 1800 Groton; d __ June 1838 Medford.(see below)

16952.5          Helen, bapt 28 Aug 1803 Groton; d _____ ; she was single in 1850.(see below)

16952.6          Francis Rufus, b 3 Aug 1806 Groton; d 28 June 1886 Medford; res Boston.(see below)

16952.7          Elizabeth Prescott, bapt 10 Apr 1808 Medford, d _____ ; m Henry Stevens. (see below)(also below)

16952.8          daughter, b 20 June 1810 Medford, buried there 26 Nov 1814.

16952.9          Anna Andrews, bapt 28 July 1811 Medford; d _____ (possibly identical with child above).

16952.A         Theodore, bapt 26 Sep 1813 Medford; d 27 Sep 1813 Medford, age 6 weeks.

Bigelow Family Genealogy Volume. I page.174-175;
Howe, Bigelow Family of America;
Medford and Groton vital records;
Forge: The Bigelow Society Quarterly, vol 3, p. 31.
Subject: Elizabeth Prescott Bigelow Poetry Book found 1839
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:19:04 EDT
From: Njgenes@aol.com
It has been some time since I was doing my Bigelow Genealogy. But I am now in the process of making a new Bigelow site.
The reason I am emailing you is to inform you of a wonderful Bigelow find ; ) (It is the 2nd. The first was a Bigelow shoebrush that I gave to Don some years ago) Last weekend, I was in a rare bookstore looking for some old Bibles. For some reason a book in a glass case attracted my attention. When I had the owner open the shelf, I was given the surprise of my life. The book is called "American Poetry II" printed in 1829. The part that is so wonderful is the dedication in the front of the book. It reads: Elizabeth P. Bigelow from her valued friend Lucy Ann Brooks, Medf** ( I can't make out the last 2 letters) April 1839. One of the best parts of the book is it has a beautiful lock of hair in it. You can tell the hair has been in the book for several years. It is an redish brown and appx. 5" long. It is beautiful. I just thought I would share that with you. If you would like me to scan the book for you, I will be happy to do so  Sincerely,  Debra Ashley

From: Janice Farnsworth    Farns10th@aol.com
The Bigelow marriages to my Prescott ancestors:
Surname:  BIGELOW
Source:     Prescott Memorial

John Prescott/Mary Platts Line, Lancaster, MA

Lucy Prescott b. March 13, 1771 dau of  Dr. Oliver Prescott Sr., and his wife, Lydia Baldwin (Dr. Oliver Prescott Sr. was the brother of Col. Wm. Prescott who led the American Troops at Bunker Hill - see p. 59)

Lucy Prescott m. Sept. 30, 1791 Hon. Timothy Bigelow, son of Col. Timothy Bigelow of Worcester who commanded one of the MA regiments in the Rev. War. Hon. Timothy Bigelow was b. April 30, 1767; graduated at Harvard College in 1786; read law with Hon. Levi Lincoln, Sr. and opened an office at Groton, MA in 1789. He was eminently successful in the practice of his profession; a sound lawyer and distinguished advocate.  In 1802 he was representative to the General Court, and was chosen from that body as one of the Executive Council in which office he served two years.  In 1806 he removed from Groton to Medford, MA, and opened an office for practice in Boston.  He represented the town of Medford in the General Court nearly if not quite all the years from the time of his removal there to the time of his death.  He was a Senator from Middlesex County, from 1797 to 1801, inclusive, and Councillor again in 1821.  His executive abilities were of the first order, and he had a fine  opportunity to exhibit them while presiding as Speaker of the House of Representatives for eleven years, beside presiding in various literary and charitable societies of which he was a member.  He was a close student and a great reader.  Books in all the liberal arts and sciences were his familiar acquaintances.  He died May 18, 1821 aged 54 years.  Mrs. Bigelow died Dec. 17, 1852 aged 81 years.  The newspapers of the day that recorded her death, stated that she was a worthy consort of a good and eminent man.   She was known for her moral loveliness and beauty, the elevation of her character, the
gentleness of her nature, and calm self-possession.  It is said that a prominent trait in her endowments was a concern for the welfare of others and a resignation and Christian patience and fortitude under trials and losses of her children. (see p. 110)

Hon. Timothy Bigelow and his wife Lucy Prescott of Medford, MA had issue:

1.  Katherine Bigelow b. 1793 m. June 28, 1819, Hon. Abbott Lawrence of Boston MA. (Lawrence, MA was named for him) He was b. Dec 16, 1792.  He was a successful merchant and manufacturer in Boston.  He was repeatedly elected a representative of the General Court, and representative to Congress and for several years was resident minister of the U.S. at the Court of St. James.  He founded and endowed in Harvard the School of Science, applied to the arts, and gave liberally to other institutions.  He d. Aug 18, 1855.  See also a memoir of him in the Historical and Genealogical Register, Vol. X, p.297,
October, 1856  See also, Lawrence Genealogy.

2.  Rev. Andrew Bigelow b. at Groton, MA May 7, 1795; m. Jan 26, 1824, Amelia Sargent Stanwood, b. at Gloucester, MA, Sept. 12, 1806; she was the dau. of Theodore and Sarah (Rogers) Stanwood.  He graduated Harvard College 1814; He studied theology and settled first in Medford, MA and then in Taunton.  They resided in Boston, MA 1865 to 1869.  Two children:
  a.  Timothy Bigelow b. at Medford, MA Mar. 15, 1825. Resided at Boston.
  b.  Theodore Standwood Bigelow b. Aug 1, 1826 also resided at Boston.

3.  John Prescott Bigelow m. 1824 Louisa Brown, an English lady who died in 1847.  He graduated at Harvard College in 1815; studied law.  He was president of the Common Council of the city of Boston; for several years Secretary of State for MA and subsequently mayor of Boston and member of the Executive Council.  Mr. Bigelow laid the foundation of the Boston Public Library, which he had the satisfaction of seeing grow to the gigantic proportions of some 150,000 volumes and had been one of the trustees from its foundation until health compelled him to resign in Jan., 1869.  Mayor Shurtleff, in presenting his resignation said of him that "he had ever been an ardent friend of the Library and that he gave the first money that was received towards the foundation."  He expressed "great regret that his feeble health demanded the severance of the tie which had for so long a time connected him with this and other branches of the City Government."  It was Mr. Bigelow's delight to do good and be useful, and he was entirely void of that selfishness and exclusiveness which is but too common among many in the higher walks of life.

4.  Edward Bigelow b. and died in Medford, June 1838, unm.

5.  Helen Bigelow

6.  Francis Rufus Bigelow, a merchant who resided in Boston.

7.  Elizabeth Prescott Bigelow m. Henry Stevens, a merchant of NYC.

Peter Prescott b. Feb. 1787 son of Peter Prescott  and his wife, Mary Wilson of Fitzwilliams, N. H.

Peter Prescott m. Catherine Bigelow.  He d. at Boylston, MA July 1840.  No issue.

Oliver Parkhurst Prescott son of Eldad Prescott and his wife, Clarissa Hunt of Jaffrey, NH.

Oliver Parkhurst Prescott was born Jan 22, 1821 and m. Dec. 8, 1846, Adelia L.Bigelow, dau of  Josiah 6 Bigelow of Jaffrey, NH b. in Framingham, MA March, 1827, Resided in Jaffrey, a farmer;
one child, Ellery Prescott b. Nov. 22, 1848.
New Note Janice:

Subject: Dr. Oliver Prescott, Sr. & his wife, Lydia Baldwin
Source:  Prescott Memorial by William Prescott, Concord, N.H., 1870
 Dr. Oliver Prescott, Sr. and his wife, Lydia Baldwin had issue:
1.  Abigail Prescott b. Feb 21, 1760; d. Aug 5, 1765.
2.  Oliver Prescott, Jr. b. April 4, 1762; m. (1) Oct. 22, 1791, Ann, dau. of Leonard
    Whiting, Esq., of Hollis, N.H., by whom he had nine children.  She d.  Sept. 13,
    1821. He m. (2), Nov. 6, 1823, Elizabeth (Atkins) Oliver, the widow of Thomas
    Oliver and the dau. of Henry Atkins, a merchant of Boston. She was b. Dec. 30, 1762
    and d. May 21, 1835.  He prepared for college at Dummer Academy, Byfield Parish,
    Newbury, Mass.; entered Harvard College in 1779; grad. in 1783; studied medicine
    with his father, but completed his professional education with Dr.James Lloyd, a
    celebrated physician of Boston.    He was admitted a licentiate by the censors of
    the Mass. Medical Society in June, 1786.
    He was apptd a surgeon to a regiment under Col. Henry Woods, which, together with
    other regiments was under the command of Gen. Lincoln.  These troops were collected
    and organized for the purpose of suppressing the Shay's rebellion.
    He was afterward made surgeon of the 6th Regiment of the 3d Division of the militia,
    which he held until he resigned in 1800.  In 1800 he was elected a member of the
    Massachusetts Medical Society, and was afterward one of its counsellors.  He
    delivered the Annual Discourse before the Society in 1813 and in 1814 received
    the honorary degree of Doctor of Medicine from Harvard College.
    In 1825 he was elected a member of the Corporation of the Massachusetts General
    Hospital and was elected Vice President of the Medical Society in 1827.  He had
    a very extensive practice in his native town of Groton, Mass., and the towns
    adjacent; but becoming of an asthmatic and dropsical habit, he removed his family
    from Groton to Newburyport in February, 1811, hoping to receive benefit from a
    residencey near the sea, together with a greater regularity of life enjoyed by
    physicians in compact settlements.   Here his practice soon became extensive, and
    continued so until his death, which occurred on the 26th of September, 1827, after
    a short illness of typhus fever, in his 66th year.
    By his ardent zeal in the cause of his profession, his dilligent study, acute
    observation and accurate discrimination, he gained the confidence and esteem
    of his patients and of the community.  Dr. Oliver Prescott, Jr., contributed
    several valuable articles to the New England Journal of Medicine and Surgery.
    But his most important publication was the discourse before alluded to, which
    he delivered before the Medical Society, entitled, "Dissertation on the Natural
    History and Medicinal Effects of the Secale Cornutum, or Ergot."  This Dissertation
    was very favorably received by the profession.  It was reprinted in Philadelphia
    and London, and was translated into the French and German languages, and was
    published under the article, "Ergot," in the 13th volume of the French Dictionary
    of the Medical Sciences.
    Dr. Oliver Prescott, Jr. was repeatedly and for many years, called by the citizens
    of Groton to participate in the management of their municipal affairs, being
    chosen Town Clerk, Selectman, of which he was chairman from 1804 to 1811; was
    repeatedly 1809-1810, and on, chosen a representative to the General Court, and
    declined repeated solicitations to serve in the Senate for the County of Middlesex.
    He was one of the original founders of the Groton Academy and was a Trustee and
    Treasurer of that Institution, and manifested a laudable zeal for the promotion
    of education and science.
           p.655  Dr. Oliver Prescott Jr. & wife, Ann Whiting of Newburyport, Mass.
           had issue:
                1. Benjamin Precott b. Feb 13, 1792; entered Dartmouth College
                   and remained 2 years; left for a mercantile life and died of
                   yellow fever at Havana, West Indies, May 29, 1829, unm.
                2. Mary Prescott b. Aug 23, 1793, m. June 23, 1825, John Belknap,
                   a merchant of Boston, son of Rev. Jeremy Belknap, D.D., the
                   Historian of New Hampshire and & Ruth (Eliot) Belknap.  He was
                   b. at Dover, N.H. Dec 30, 1776; and died at Boston, Oct 7, 1856
                   aged 80 years. Mary (Prescott) Belknap resided, 1868 at No. 8
                   Mount Vernon St., Boston.
                3. Harriet Prescott b. April 7, 1795.  Resided in Cambridge, Mass. unm.
                4. Oliver Prescott III, b. April 26, 1797, sailed for the Sandwich
                   Island as 1st Officer of the Brig, Fredine and died at Woahoo,
                   S.I. June 21, 1824, unm., aged 27 years & 2 mos.
                5. Caroline Prescott b. May 5, 1799; m. April 19, 1849, Rev. Charles
                   W. Thompson, Rector of St. John's Church, York, Pennsylvania (no
                6.  Charles Prescott b. Mar 4, 1801; d. in Empire City, CA Oct 24, 1851,
                7.  Lydia Ann Prescott b. Oct 1, 1802, d. Sept 4, 1804.
                8.  Anna Prescott b. Aug 11, 1805.
                9.  Lucy Oliver Prescott b. Sept 7, 1807; m. Sept 1, 1829, Edmund
                    L. LeBreton of Newburyport, Mass. b. Mar 7, 1805.  He studied law,
                    but abandoned it for the mercantile business after a few years.
                    They resided in Bangor, Maine. He died in Lowell, Mass. Nov 19, 1849
                    in his 45th year.  She died in Elizabethport, New Jersey Sept 1,
                    1865 aged 58.  Children - p.154
                          1. Mary Caroline LeBreton b. Feb 27, 1831, m. Dec 25, 1850,
                             George Arthur Gardner, a merchant in New York City b. in
                             Portland, Maine Nov 22, 1829; she d. Aug 24, 1864.
                          2. Edmund Parker LeBreton, b. jan 12, 1732; d. 1833.
                          3. Anna Prescott LeBreton b. Dec 21, 1834 m. March 11, 1857,
                             Samuel Clarkson Dunn, a merchant of Newton, New Jersey b.
                             in Newton, N.J., June 10, 1833.
                          4. Edmund Stephen LeBreton b. April 24, 1836 m. Oct 4, 1858,
                             Sarah Ann Dunn b. Aug 3, 1837; he was a real estate insur-
                             ance agent in Elizabeth, N.J.
                          5. Frances Stearns LeBreton b. Feb 7, 1838; d. Dec 6, 1849.
                          6. Harriet Prescott LeBreton b. April 7, 1840 d. 1841.
                          7. Lucy Oliver Prescott LeBreton b. May 23, 1841; m. Nov 16,
                             1868, Thomas MacLeod, b. In Edinburgh, Scotland; he was
                             in 1870, a merchant in Hancock, Michigan.
                          8. Elizabeth Atherton LeBreton b. Aug 15, 1843, d. 1864, unm.
                          9. Charles Prescott LeBreton, b. Dec 9, 1845; a merchant in
                             San Francisco.
3.  Thomas Prescott (son of Dr. Oliver Prescott, Sr. & his wife, Lydia Baldwin,)
    Thomas Prescott was b. Oct. 11, 1764; died Aug. 10, 1765; of putrid sore throat
    (Distemper), which prevailed as a malignant and fatal epidemic.
4.  Thomas Prescott 2d, b. Oct 27,1766; died Oct. 26, 1785; he was a cripple, caused by
5.  Abigail Prescott b. June 25, 1768; d. October 6, 1783 of consumption from the
    effects of whooping cough.
6.  Lucy Prescott b. March 13, 1771; m. Sept. 30, 1791, the Hon. Timothy Bigelow, of Worcester (who commanded one of the Mass. Regiments in the Revolutionary War.
    Hon. Timothy Bigelow was born April 30, 1767; grad. from Harvard College in 1786; read law with Hon. Levi Lincoln, Sr. and opened an office at Groton, Mass., in 1789.  He was eminently successful in the practice of his profession; a sound lawyer and distinguished advocate.   In 1802 he was representative to the General Court and was chosen from that body as one of the Executive Council, in which office he served two years.   He represented the town of Medford and opened an office for  practice in Boston.   He represented the town of Medford in the General Court nearly if not quite all the years from the time of his removal there to the time of his death.  He d. May 18, 1821, aged 54 years and 19 days.  His wife, Lucy(Prescott) Bigelow died in the consolation of a religious faith, Dec 17, 1852 aged 81 years and 9 mos.   The newspapers of the day that recorded her death stated that she
 a worthy consort of a good and eminent man.  She was well known for her moral
 loveliness and beauty, the elevation of her character, the gentleness of her
 nature, and calm self-possession.   It is said that a prominent trait in her
  endowments was a conern for the welfare of others and a resignation and Christian
  patience and fortitude under trials and losses of her children.
Transcribed by Janice Farnsworth

From: Janice Farnsworth    Farns10th@aol.com
Date: 11/13/2005
The text that follows is excerpted from the "History of Meridian Lodge, A. F. & A. M. of Natick Massachusetts" printed by "Natick Citizen" Company in 1892. Credit is due and should be given to the Committee of Charles C. Henry, D. H. L. Gleason and I. M. Fellows who were responsible for creating this History.
On Monday afternoon. December 11th, 1797, The Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons held its annual stated communication in what was then known as Concert Hall, in Boston, Massachusetts. From the records of the Grand Lodge of the above date we copy the following:

"A petition from William Hull and others praying for a charter to hold a Lodge in the town of Watertown by the name of Meridian Lodge, was received and duly recommended. Voted, That the prayer of the petition be granted."
On this date the Charter was granted and signed by Most Worshipful Paul Revere, Grand Master--Sam'l Dunn, Deputy Grand Master--Isaiah Thomas, Senior Grand Warden--Joseph Laughton, Junior Grand Warden--By Order of The Grand Lodge: Daniel Oliver, Grand Secretary.
At this point we regret to record the fact that the original charter, and all the record-books and papers of the Lodge, with the exception of the original treasurer's account-book, were destroyed by fire in Natick Massachusetts, at the burning of Walter Morse's block on Pond Street, July 1862. in which building Meridian Lodge was then located.
Owing to this lamentable loss, the history of the Lodge from the date of its charter until September, 1862, must of necessity be very meager and unsatisfactory. We learn from very reliable authority, however, that Meridian Lodge was duly and formally constituted at Watertown on the fifth day of September, 1798; and that the late Gen. William Hull was its first Worshipful Master. The Rev. and Rt. Wor. Bro. T. W. Harris, Grand Chaplain, performed the consecrating ceremonies, and the Most Worshipful Grand Master Josiah Bartlett, MD, delivered a pertinent address and charge, followed by an address by the Worshipful Master Bro. William Hull. We copy the following newspaper report of the occasion from the Boston Sentinel, published a few days after the event:


Behold the acorn, from a tender root,

Puts forth a weak and unregarded shoot

But Nature's faithfull process once begun

It gains new strength with each revolving sun;

Till its firm stem the raging storm defies,

And its bold brandies wave amidst the skies.

On Wednesday, September fifth, 1798, the Meridian Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons was instituted in ample order at Watertown, The Rev. Bro. Eliot introduced the formalities by prayer. Vocal and instrumental music followed; the former from original compositions by Mr. Samuel Babcock.
The Rev. Mr. Bentley then pronounced an ingenious, learned. and historical discourse, in which the Robinson's of Europe were exposed in all their imperfections, and the craft ably, boldly, and candidly vindicated.
The Rev. Bro. Harris, Grand Chaplain, performed the consecrating duties, and the M. W. Grand Master and Wor. Bro. Hull each delivered pertinent and adapted charges.
The fraternity then repaired to one of the best entertainments ever furnished so large an assembly, and which did infinite honor to Br. Welles, the provider.
After dinner patriotic toasts were given, and the Lodges closed at an early hour. Among the toasts, after the Grand Lodge had retired, was the following. which for point is rarely equaled;
May we never have a war without a Washington, a Shay without a Lincoln, nor a Morse without a Bentley.
After dinner Bro. Williamson, Bro. Jackson', and several assisting brethren, gave a number of Masonic airs, and the patriotic songs of "Adams and Liberty," "Hail Columbia," etc., in the most finished style of melody. The following are the toasts given by the R. W. Master of Meridian Lodge:

1. The President of the United States.
2. Brother Washington: The ornament of Masonry and of men.
3. Most Worshipful Josiah Bartlett: May his exertions in the cause of Masonry be crowned with a never-fading laurel.
4. May universal relief be afforded to our distressed brethren.
5. A generous enemy whose light is not darkness.
6. May the light of every good Mason be kindled in life, enlighten his death,and blaze through eternity.
7. Regular constituted Lodges; May they ever keep in view the principles of the order.
*Should read "Constitution."
June 10, 1811
Nothing of importance can be learned from the date of institution up to the present time except that on this date (June 10, 1811) the Most Worshipful Grand Master in Grand Lodge granted to the members of Meridian Lodge permission to change their location from Watertown to Needham, Norfolk County, Mass., now known as Wellesley Hills; the Lodge having been located in Watertown less than fourteen years.
The home of the Lodge in Needham (Wellesley Hills) was in what was then known as Smith's Tavern, on the Boston and Worcester Turnpike, and kept by Bro. David Smith, who erected the building a few years before the removal of the Lodge. The building is now known as the Elm Park Hotel.
At the dedication of their Hall in this building, which took place at a regular communication on the afternoon of July first, 1811, the Rev. Bro. Charles Train, A. M., minister of the Baptist Society in Framingham, Mass., pronounced a dedicatorial sermon before the Lodge.
At the close of the sermon it was voted unanimously, "That Brothers Peter Lyon, Enoch Wiswall, and Solomon Curtis be a committee to wait on Rev. Bro. Charles Train and thank him for his truly Masonic address delivered this afternoon, and request a copy for the press."
From June 10, 1811, to Sept. 13, 1843, we have no reliable record of the doings of the Lodge; simply the names of brethren, which have been culled from the accounts of the treasurer's book, which can be found under the head of "Past and Present Members of the Lodge." We have, however, the following clippings from the "Boston Sentinel," and "The Churchman's Magazine," published in June and October, 1813, respectively:
The Festival of St. John's will be celebrated by Meridian Lodge June 24th. The brethren of the Masonic Family are invited to attend.
A discourse will be delivered by Rev. and R. Wor. Bro. T. N. Harris. The brethren will meet at Bro. D. Smith's Hall [Elm Park Hotel] in Needham [Wellesley Hills] at 10 o'clock, A. M. where tickets for brethren and ladies may be had. The procession will move to the Meetinghouse (West Parish) at half past 10 o'clock.
Per order: ISAAC TRAIN, June 9, 1813
[From "'The Churchman's Magazine for October, 1813.]

On Wednesday last [Sept. 29, 1813] the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of this Commonwealth, by the permission of the Most Worshipful Grand Master, assembled at Newton, under the direction of the Right Worshipful Francis J Oliver, Esq., and organized in ample form, were escorted by Meridian Lodge and the Church and congregation to the platform erected in front of the site of the Church, when the interesting and solemn ceremonies were preceded by sacred and appropriate music.
The Right Worshipful Deputy Grand Master having pronounced the stone to be perfect in its form, and suitable to the occasion, the Rev. Dr. Gardiner of Trinity was requested to deposit the silver plate, after reading the inscription, which was as follows:
Timothy Bigelow, Esq., Grand Master
"In the Name of the Father. Son, and Holy Ghost! This stone. by permission of the Honorable and Right Worshipful Timothy Bigelow, Esq., Grand Master, on the festival of St. Michael and all Angels, 1813, was laid by Francis Johonot Oliver, Esq., Deputy G. M., assisted by the Rev. John Sylvester Gardiner, D.D., Rector of Trinity Church, and the Rev. Asa Eaton. Rector of Christ Church, Boston.
"God save the Church and State!"
"St. Marv's Chapel, founded 1812; incorporated 1813. His Excellency Caleb Strong, Esq., LL.D., Governor; His Honor William Phillips, Esq., Lieutenant-Govemor; the Right Reverend Father-in-God Alexander V., by Divine Providence, of the Eastern Diocese, Bishop.
"The land annexed to this Church. containing two acres, is a donation from Samuel Brown, Esq., merchant, of Boston."
Rev. Asa Eaton, Rector.
Solomon Curtis,]
Wardens of St. Mary's Chapel
Thomas Durant,]

These newspaper clippings indicate that in June, 1813, Meridian Lodge celebrated St. John's Day in due and ancient form; and that they acted as escort to the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge on September 29, 1813, at the laying of the cornerstone of St. Mary's Episcopal Church at Newton Lower Falls, which is still used as a house of worship by the above named society.
On the 13th day of September, 1843, permission was granted the members of Meridian Lodge to again change their location to Newton Lower Falls, and it is so recorded in the Grand Lodge. We learn from tradition that they then occupied the Wales Tavern, at Newton Lower Falls, and for a short time held meetings at Newton Upper Falls. Its last location in that vicinity, however, was in the building then owned by Bro. Gen Charles Rice, situated about three hundred feet this side of the bridge which spans the Charles River between the then known towns of Needham and Newton. The building in which the Lodge-room was fitted up was a large dwellinghouse, and is still standing on the original site just near the bridge, on the right hand side as v u cross it going towards Newton.
We learn that shortly after the location of the Lodge in this place discord arose among the brethren, and factions were created which nearly wrecked the Lodge. A faithful few, however, foremost of whom was our late brother, Gen. Charles Rice, held the brethren together, and retained the charter.
In 1851, a little band of Masonic brethren in Natick and vicinity, among whom were Dr. John Joyt, John M. Seaward, Sr., Wor. Malachi Babcock Charles Herring, Dr. John Wilson, and John Felch, being desirous of improving themselves in the mysteries of the "Royal Art," formed themselves into a Lodge of Instruction. and called upon Wor. Bro. Malachi Babcock. then of Sherborn, to preside over them. In the winter of 1852 there was a strong desire manifested by this little company of faithful and zealous Master Masons to organize a Lodge in Natick. A committee was appointed from among their number, of which Wor. Bro. Malachi Babcock was chairman, to request from Middlesex Lodge, located at Framingham, permission to petition the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge for a dispensation to organize a Lodge at Natick. The request was refused by Middlesex Lodge deeming it inadvisable to have a Lodge so near their location. For a short time the brethren were disheartened and nonplused as to the next step to take, when it occurred to them that the location of Meridian Lodge, at Needham, was nearer to Natick than Framingham, and therefore held legal jurisdiction over that territory. Accordingly the committee took new courage, and consulted at once with the brethren of Meridian Lodge in reference to granting them permission to petition the Grand Lodge. Gen. Charles Rice, then a prominent member of Meridian Lodge, mentioned above, informed the committee that the interest in Freemasonry was then at a very low ebb in that vicinity,, and suggested that they enter into a compact to have Meridian Lodge transferred to Natick, where it was hoped it would have a wider scope for usefulness. This agreement was gladly entered into by the Natick Brethren, and the necessary dispensation for the transfer of Meridian Lodge to Natick was granted by Rev. G. M. Randall, D.D., Most Wor. Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, March 10, 1852. In the same month the first communication of Meridian Lodge was called in Natick for organization, Wor. Bro. Malachi Babcock, a Past Master of Middlesex Lodge, Framingham, was elected Wor. Master; thus entitling him to the honor of first Worshipful Master of Meridian Lodge in Natick. Bro. Isaac M. Fellows was the first candidate for degrees in the Lodge at Natick, and is now (1892) a living member of the Lodge.
We learn that the Lodge continued to flourish with more or less success until July 20, 1862, when it was located in the Walter Morse building, on East Central street. On that date the building caught fire, and nearly or quite all the property of the Lodge was destroyed by the devouring flames, including the charter and records of the Lodge; which serious loss is and always will be regretted-, for at that time the record of the Lodge from December 1797 until July 1862 was destroyed in a few short hours; also the charter which bore the signature of that distinguished patriot and zealous Mason; Past Grand Master Paul Revere. The brethren however were not disheartened, and at once proceeded to provide for the immediate future of the Lodge. A special communication was at once called to meet at the house of the Worshipful Master, Alvin Fuller, on the evening of July 21,1862. At this meeting Alvin Fuller,, W. M., and Bros. J. M. Seaward, Sr., John W. Bacon (afterwards Judge Bacon), James H. Parker, and Nathan Reed were elected to petition the Most Wor. Grand Lodge for a new charter in placed of the one destroyed at the recent fire. A committee was also appointed to provide a suitable hall for Lodge meetings.
July 28, 1862
A Special Communication was held at which Bros. J. H. Parker, Sen. Warden, and J. M. Seaward, Treasurer, were appointed to collect the money due from Dorchester Insurance Company on account of recent loss by fire.
August 6, 1862
Regular Communication. A committee consisting of Bros. Secretary L. R. Edgerton, Treasurer J. M. Seaward, and George L. Sawin to repair and furnish the hall.*
September 3, 1862
First meeting in Masonic Hall since fire; Regular Communication and official visit of D. D. Grand Master Henry Goddard. The dispensation from the Grand Master was read.
October 21, 1863
Annual Communication and first meeting held in new hall fitted up in Walcott Block, facing the Common on the west side, between West Central and Pond streets.
Br. James H. Parker elected Worshipful Master.
November 9, 1864
Official visit of D. D. Grand Master Rev. J. W. Dadmun, accompanied by Most Wor. William Parkinan, Grand Master of Freemasons in Massachusetts, who installed Wor. Master Malachi Babcock and officers elect for the ensuing year.
July 21, 1869
First Communication in new Masonic Hall, Morse's Block, which stood on the present site of Masonic Block. This hall was furnished at a cost of $1842.27; a portion of which was voluntarily contributed by brethren of the Lodge.
*The first hall occupied by the Lodge after the fire, was located in Clark's Building, comer of West Central and Main Streets.

Next (To be continued....) (ends here)

More Prescotts from Janice

Attached is the (as usual) superb NEHGS item - of which I have 3 items

- Bigelow & that of the Higginson/Prescott marriage - Salem, Mass.  and the Abbott Lawrence mention. There are others of mine linked to this NEHGS report but below are the two most prominent.        Many thanks to our Kaye Edmonds up there in Ontario, Canada - marvelous find, Kaye! - Janice


 Subject: Rev. Benjamin Prescott, son of Capt. Jonathan Prescott & his 2nd wife, Elizabeth Hoar.
Source: History of Concord, Mass. by Lemual Shattuck, 1835.


Benjamin Prescott son of Capt. Jonathan Prescott (son of John Prescott, founder of Lancaster). Benjamin Prescott was born Sept 16, 1687 (see p.46, Prescott Memorial) and graduated Harvard in 1709. He was ordained minister at Salem Village (Danvers) Sept 23, 1713.
The Boston Gazette of 1777, reported:
"In this office he continued about 45 years, discharging its duties with such capacity and fidelity as gave him an extensive reputation. When he thought himself called to resign his pastoral charge, he was introduced into the magistracy, which he supported with honor to himself and usefulness to the public; always appearing the same man, and exhibiting an uniform piety and virtue in every station.  He had great political as well as theological knowledge. He well understood the laws, the rights, and the interest of his country; and defended them with great strength of reason as well as generous warmth of heart. In this service his pen was frequently and largely employed, more especially at the commencement of the important controversy of the Revolution, though his name was concealed; and the clearness, the consistency, the force and vivacity with which he would support a long train of argument even when he had entered his 90th year was truly surprising.
   "Few, very few attained so great an age as he did with so much comfort to thenselves and their friends, and so much usefuloness. Besides employing himself in some writings which he left unfinished, but enough to show the remaining vigor of his mind, he transacted considerable business as a magistrate till within a week of his death. After he was seized with the violent fever that soon put an end to his life, he could speak but little, but he satisfactorily evinced, that he had those inward consolations and supports, which are the genuine result of that blessed religion which he had so long professed, preached and practiced." (end, Boston Gazette article).

He died May 28, 1777, in his 90th year.  He married three times:

1st, Elizabeth Higginson of Salem by whom he had two sons and three daughters.
Benjamin Prescott, the eldest was graduated at Harvard College in 1736 and married in 1741 Rebecca Minott,  daughter of the Hon. James Minott, lived in Salem and had eight children. 
Rebecca Prescott, the eldest, married the Hon. Roger Sherman of New Haven, CT. Her brothers, James Prescott & Benjamin Prescott also lived there; the former married Rebecca Barrett of Concord. 

2nd, Mercy Giggs, the dau. of Rev. Henry Gibbs of Watertown, by whom he had:
Henry Prescott who died at New Castle, Sept. 10, 1816, father to Benjamin, Henry and William Pepperell of that town, and George Washington Prescott.

 3d, Mary (Pepperell) Coleman, widow of the Rev. Benjamin Coleman and the daughter of  Sir William Pepperell.

Transcribed by Janice Farnsworth

Subject: Rev. Benjamin Prescott, son of Capt. Jonathan Prescott & grandson of John Prescott, founder of Lancaster, Mass.

Source: Prescott Memorial
Rev. Benjamin Prescott b. Sept. 16, 1687, grad. Harvard College in 1709, studied & prepared for the ministry and was ordained over the church of the Second Precinct in Salem, subsequently Danvers and South Danvers, now (1860) the town of Peabody. Ordained Sept 23, 1713, where he officiated with fidelity and sucess for 45 years.

He married for his first wife, Elizabeth Higginson, dau. of John Higginson, Esq., of Salem, Oct 20, 1715.  She was born June 28, 1696  and died March 20, 1723. 

He married (2) Mercy, daughter of Rev. Henry Gibbs of Watertown on July 15, 1732.  She died Dec. 18th, 1744.  He married (3) Mary, the sister of the first Sir William Pepperell on Oct 6, 1748, as her third husband. (Her first husband was the Hon. John Frost of New Castle, N.H.

2nd husband was Rev. Benjamin Coleman, D. D. of Boston. She was born Sept 4, 1686 and died April 18, 1766. 

 The Rev. Benjamin Prescott died May 27, 1777 aged 90 years.  His mind beng well stored with political, as well as theological knowledge, he, upon retiring from his pastoral duties, entered into the public life, where he always exhibited the same uniform piety and virtue in every station in which he was placed, discharging his duties with fidelity and with honor, to himself and usefulness to the public, etc.

Issue of Rev. Benjamin Prescott and Elizabeth Higginson of Salem Village:

1. Benjamin Prescott b. Jan 29, 1717; grad. Harvard College in  1736; m. Aug 12, 1741, Rebecca, dau of James & Martha (Lane) Minot, b. May  15, 1720. He was a Justice of the Peace and an enterprising merchant in Salem, where he died Aug 18, 1778 in his 62nd year.  She died Oct 8, 1761 in her 42nd  year. Their children


1. Rebecca Prescott b. May 20, 1742; m. May 12, 1763 the Hon. Roger Sherman, signer of the Declaration of Independence. He was born at Newton, Mass. April 19, 1721. He was the son of William Sherman of Newton and the grandson of Joseph Sherman and the great-grandson of Capt. John Sherman who came from Dedham, England to Watertown, Mass. in 1634 or 1635. Roger Sherman had m. (1) about 1749, Elizabeth Hartwell of Stoughton, Mass. by whom he had seven children.  She died October, 1760 and he m. (2) Rebecca Prescott and by her had eight children.

2. Martha Prescott b. Nov. 23, 1744; m. Sept 29, 1767, Stephen Goodhue, son of Benjamin Goodhue of Salem and had two children.

3. Benjamin Prescott b. March 14, 1746; died May, 1750.

4. James Prescott b. March 15,1749; m. (1) Oct 28, 1783, Rebecca, dau. of James & Melicent (Estabrook) Barrett of Concord, Mass., b. Aug. 30, 1763, and died at New Haven, CT., May 4, 1795 in her 32nd year. He m. (2) Feb 6, 1796, Rebecca, daughter of David Atwater of New Haven b. April 27, 1760 and died July 17, 1734 aged 74 years & 2 mos. & 20 days.  Three children. He settled in New Haven where he died May 25, 1842 aged 94 years, 2 mos & 11 days. The oldest inhabitant of New Haven.

 5. Elizabeth Prescott b. Dec. 1, 1752; m. Nov. 26, 1771, Henry Daggett, son of Elihu Daggett of Attleboro, Mass.; settled in New Haven; ten children all born in New Haven.

 6. Mercy Prescott b. Feb. 5, 1755; m. Oct 29, 1781, Henry, the son of Henry Gibbs of Salem, who was the son of Rev. Henry Gibbs of Watertown, the son of Robert Gibbs of Boston.  He settled at Salem after graduating from Harvard College in 1766; had five children of whom Prof. Josiah Willard Gibbs of Yale College, born April 30, 1790, was one.   Mr. Gibbs was b. May 7, 1749; died  Jan. 29, 1794 in his 45th year.  She died May 19, 1809 aged 54 years, 3 mos and 14 days. 

7. Benjamin Prescott b. Oct 27, 1757; m. (1) April 7, 1783, Hannah Blakeslie, dau of Tilley & Thankful (Allen) Blakeslie, b. 1762 and died at Calais, Maine, May 10, 1824 aged 62 yrs.  He m. (2) Oct 1831, Jane Woodford of Avon, CT where she was born in 1788, and where she died Aug 9, 1867 aged 79.  He died at New Haven Oct 23, 1839 aged 82 years.  His widow, Jane afterward married a Mr. Griswold.

 8. Mary Prescott b. May 9, 1760, m. July 8,1799, Peter, the son of Col. James & Rebecca (Hubbard) Barrett of Concord, Mass. & brother to Rebecca who married her brother James Prescott (above); they lived in Concord, Mass.and had eight children.

2. John Prescott b. Aug 17, 1718 died next day.

3. Hannah Prescott b. Dec. 6, 1719; m. Dec 29, 1737, Capt. Daniel Eppes,  son of Col. Daniel Eppes, b. Nov 8, 1710; died 1780.  She died Sept 18, 1769, leaving nine children.

4. Elizabeth Prescott b. Sept 15, 1721; m. March 1755, William son of John & Mary (Pepperell) Frost of New Castle, N.H. She died March, 1758; he died Sept. 17, 1778. 

5. Sarah Prescott  b. Jan 29, 1723, died May 12, 1723.

Rev. Benjamin Prescott and his 2nd wife, Mercy Gibbs had issue:

6. Henry Prescott b. July 19, 1735; died Jan 19, 1736.

7. Henry Prescott b.July 25, 1737, m. Oct. 9, 1760, Mary, dau of Joseph Newmarch of New Castle, N.H. b. 1732.  She  was the grand-daughter of the Hon. William Pepperell. She was a woman of great courage and firmness, mingled with vivacity, cheerfulness and ready wit. It is related of her that when advised to leave New Castle on account of the expected invasion by the British troops in 1776, that she declared she would not leave "until she could see the whites of the enemy's eyes."  She afterward concluded that "discretion was the better part of valor," and removed to Kittery, where her youngest son the Hon. George W. Prescott was born Jan. 8, 1776.  She died 1822 aged 90 years.  He died Sept 10, 1816 aged 79 years.   He was a merchant.

 Transcribed by Janice Farnsworth
More from Janice:
Subject: Timothy Bigelow of Groton, Mass. & the Separation of Maine from Massachusetts.
Source: Groton Historical Series - Vol. III - by Samuel Abbott Green, M.D. Groton, 1893.
   Timothy Bigelow was the eldest son of Col. Timothy and Anna (Andrews) Bigelow, born at Worcester on April 30, 1767.  He was fitted for Harvard College under the tuition of Benjamin Lincoln and of the celebrated Samuel Dexter, then a law student at Worcester. He graduated with high rank at Cambridge in the Class of 1786, and entered at once upon the study of his profession in the office of Levi Lincoln, the elder.
   Admitted to the bar in the year 1789, he began the practice of law at Groton, Mass., living at that time in the dwelling then occupied by
Converse Richardson, and used as a public house, where he also had his office.
                          1791 - Timothy Bigelow m. Lucy Prescott.
   The dwelling was situated on the south side of what is now Elm Street, near the corner of Pleasant Street, though it was moved away in the autumn of 1860 to a lot near the head of the old Jenkins road, discontinued on April 6, 1885.  It is said that he sat in his office six weeks without taking a fee and then received a pisareen.  On Sept. 3, 1791, he was married to Lucy Prescott, daughter of Dr. Oliver and Lydia (Baldwin) Prescott, who was born on March 13, 1771.
    After his marriage he removed to the house standing until the summer of 1875, between Gov. Boutwell's dwelling and Mrs. Graves's.  An account of this house is given in the first volume of this Historical Series (No. XVI pages 1-9), under the heading "An Old House and Some of Its Occupants."
   Timothy Bigelow soon acquired a wide reputation and a large practice by no means confined to Middlesex County.  Many young men came to Groton in order to study law in his office, and not a few of them afterward became eminent in their profession. (see list below)
   At the same period, Samuel Dana, Jr. was another noted lawyer of Groton, whose sketch follows this present one (see p.211).  These two men became the leaders of the Middlesex Bar and they also tried many cases in Essex, Worcester and Suffolk Counties as well as in New Hampshire.  They were retained in most of the important cases in this neighborhood and generally on opposite sides.  They were both military men, and each one commanded a militia company made up of his own political party.  Mr. Bigelow was a prominent Federalist, and the Captain of  the South Company; while Mr. Dana was equally prominent as a Democrat and the captain of the North Company.
   They had offices in the same building, in fact on opposite sides of the same entry, and, in politics as well as at the bar, they were usually pitted against each other, yet in social life they were the best of friends.
   Timothy Bigelow took an active part in  politics and for many years, was a member of the Mass. House of Representatives, chosen first by the Town of Groton, and afterward by the town of Medford, where he was then living.  During the 13 years he represented Groton in the House, and
                                  The Separation of Maine from Massachusetts.
during the twelve years he represented Medford in the same body; and he was Speaker for thirteen years, the longest term of service in that capacity
ever held by one man.                                  
   He was filling this position at the time when the Act was passed on June 19, 1819 separating the District of Maine from the State of Massachusetts and consequently the last Speaker of the united Legislatures of the District and the Commonwealth.  He was a delegate to that famous political assembly
in 1814, known as the Hartford Convention, and also a member of the Executive Council in the year 1820.  He was one of the founders of the Groton Academy and an original member of its Board of Trustees.
   Amid the engrossing duties of his profession, Timothy Bigelow found time for occasional literary work. While living at Groton he delivered the Oration before the Phi Beta Kappa Society at Cambridge July 21, 1796; a funeral oration on Samuel Dana - at one time minister of Groton and afterward a lawyer - before the Benevolent Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons at Amherst, New Hampshire April 4, 1798 and a Eulogy on Washington before the Columbian Lodge of Masons at Boston, February 11, 1800 - which addresses have been printed.
   In the year 1806 he removed to Medford, Mass., where he died on May 18, 1821 at the age of 54 years. See the "Columbian Centinel," May
19, 1821 for a tribute to his memory, written by the editor, Major Benjamin Russell, a friend of forty years' standing. 
                         Timothy Bigelow's sons:
The late Rev. Andrew Bigelow, D.D., and the late Hon. John Prescott Bigelow, Secretary of the Commonwealth, were his sons.
   Among the young men who studied law in Mr. Bigelow's office were the following: 
John Harris, Judge of the Supreme Court of New Hampshire.
Thomas Rice, of Winslow, Maine, Member of Congress.
John Locke, of Ashby, Mass., Member of Congress.
Joseph Locke, Judge of the Police Court of Lowell, Mass. for 13 yrs.
John Leighton Tuttle of Concord, Mass.
Asahel Stearns, Univ. Professor of Law at the Harvard School.
John Varnum of Haverhill, Member of Congress.
Loammi Baldwin, who afterward became a distinguished civil engineer.
John Park Little of Gorham, Maine.
Tyler Bigelow of Watertown, Mass.
Luther Lawrence of Groton, Mass. and afterward of Lowell, Mass, where
he died Mayor of the City, April 17, 1839.
Nathaniel Shattuck of Amherst, New Hampshire.
John Stuart of Newburyport.
Augustus Peabody of Boston
Abraham Moore of Groton, Mass.
 Transcribed by Janice Farnsworth       
See also Timothy Bigelow's part in the Separation of Maine from Massachusetts:
The History of Maine
              See also

Modified - 02/15/2006
(c) Copyright 2006 Bigelow Society, Inc. All rights reserved.
Rod  Bigelow - Director

Rod Bigelow
Box 13  Chazy Lake
Dannemora, N.Y. 12929